Every invention journey begins with an idea. As an aspiring inventor, this idea is yours. Though you’ve thought about it time and time again, perhaps you didn’t know what to do with it or where to go for help to transform the idea into a reality.
As an inventor, you hold your invention ideas close to heart, not sharing it with others for fear that they might steal the idea from you. However, you want to take your idea one step further.
At this point, you turn to Davison and confidentially submit your invention idea. From there, the adventure begins as you go through the inventing process to hopefully one day see your invention on store shelves.
No one said the invention process was easy. In fact, even three of the most famous inventors struggled along the way, too. However, they found a way to overcome the curveballs that were thrown at them to finally reach their goals.
So, today, we offer you some advice straight from some of our seasoned veterans at Davison ready to help as you embark on your very own inventing journey.
Five tips for aspiring inventors about the invention process:
- Be patient and understand that you will endure some bumps along the road; almost every inventor does. It takes time and perseverance to take a product to the market. You must have thick skin and be ready to deflect criticisms from family and friends. There are a lot of emotions involved in this industry and you must be prepared for the ride.
- “Don’t live life with regrets.” Theodore Roosevelt once said “It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.” Avoid looking back on your life and asking yourself, “what if?” Life’s short and you only get one shot. If you believe in your idea, follow it and in the worst-case scenario, you can look back and say that you tried!
- Realize that there are risks in pursuing an idea, just as an entrepreneur faces risks pursuing their new business venture. There are no guarantees, but if you believe in your idea, you have the opportunity to give it a shot.
- Have fun! It’s important to make this journey fun and enjoyable. Even when setbacks occur, take them in stride. Embrace the ups and downs of the inventing rollercoaster!
- Stay calm. Many aspiring inventors, at times, are very nervous about moving forward with their idea. Try your best to step outside of your comfort zone, because those feelings of nervousness, uncertainty and anxiety are normal. But, when you take the first step and watch your dreams begin to become reality, those feelings will turn into something quite different.
If you’re ready to begin your very own journey, submit your invention idea, today!
Copyright Davison, 2015
A typical project does not get a royalty agreement, sell in stores or generate a profit.